Sunday, May 6, 2012

Gratitude

I've been wondering, for a while now, about abortion law in Bulgaria. I don't know if it's weird that I never asked about it, or looked into it, before. At the back of my mind, though, I've been curious about whether Geri's biological mother had the option of ending her pregnancy.

Abortion is, in fact, legal in Bulgaria. Up to 12 weeks gestation, no reason is necessary. A woman can just walk into a clinic and request one with no questions asked. From 12 to 20 weeks, abortions are available if the mother or baby has a disease that is threatening to either one's life. After 20 weeks, it is only permitted if the mother's life is in danger or the fetus is severely impaired. According to the UN, in a 2007 report(the year Geri was born), Bulgaria had one of the highest abortion rates in the world. Abortion was regarded as a form of birth control, and the cost of the abortion was in no way a problem. Many women reported that they chose an abortion because the cost of raising a child was considered more prohibitive.

I am overwhelmed with gratitude to Geri's biological mother. She could have easily aborted her pregnancy. She could have snuffed out our daughter's life when it began. I don't know what her reasons were, but I know that she gave our Geri a chance. She could have easily ended the whole thing, skipped the pregnancy and delivery, but she chose not to.

In a strange way, I feel bound to this woman somehow. She made the child that I raise, which makes us a sort of a team in this effort. I don't know if that sounds strange, but it gives me the sense of being connected to her. Now I feel connected to her by gratitude as well, and I know that her choice gave me our child. Thank you, M.,  from the bottom of my heart. You made the right choice, of that I am sure.



Sources:
Bulgaria - United Nations
Bulgaria Has One of the World's Highest Abortion Rates UN Report ...


No comments:

Post a Comment